Mark Burton for Manhattan Beach City Council "Putting Community First!" Campaign
During my time on City Council, we accomplished so many things including such issues as public safety, the environment, risk management, fiscal responsibility and creating the most open and transparent City government in our city’s history.
Mark is proud of the following accomplishments and the strong leadership he displayed in sponsoring many of these proposals.
Public Safety Leader
- Supported hiring more police officers to increase foot patrol presence
- Initiated the Automated License Plate Reader Security Camera program
- Initiated the Security Camera Registration program
Keeping Character of Community
- Banned short-term rentals to protect our residential neighborhoods against commercial activity and control influx of "transient occupancy and party homes"
- Strengthened our partnerships with our schools by approving a Master Use Agreement that fairly compensates the district for the use of their property and supported all school bond measures to build upgraded facilities
- Adopted a Resolution opposing the proposed desalination plant that would pollute our ocean
- Passed an ordinance prohibiting smoking in all public places
- Passed an ordinance banning the use of polystyrene products in disposable food packaging to protect our beaches
- Earned a AAA bond rating for City (1 of only 2 cities to do so!)
- Rejected $500,000 settlement demand which led to a favorable trial verdict for the City and the exoneration of MB Police
- Presented annual balanced budgets and a 5 yr. General Fund Plan to keep city financially solvent
- Saved the City millions of dollars and provided better legal representation by joining a high performing "risk pool" of cities
Paid for by Mark Burton for City Council 2019 ID# 1414723